Scott W. Kelly
Scott W. Kelly BiographyPrint This Page
Scott is an experienced trial attorney specializing in civil litigation and local government law. He has earned an AV Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, indicating his peers in the legal community rate him at the highest level of professional excellence. Having served as lead counsel in hundreds of cases, he recognizes the difference between conflicts needing to be resolved early and amicably from those demanding an aggressive approach. Scott’s litigation experience includes a wide array of practice areas, including personal injury, wrongful death, premises liability, civil rights law, public sector liability, railroad law, commercial disputes, insurance coverage, and subrogation. He is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in Georgia.
Scott’s success in the courtroom has opened other doors. For instance, following his representation of county officials in a civil suit, he was hired to serve as county attorney for Warren County and as general counsel for the County’s Development Authority. Such opportunities have allowed Scott to broaden his legal skills to include areas such as ad valorem taxation, complex contracts, condemnation, election law, intergovernmental agreements, land use and zoning, and public sector finance.
Raised in Marietta, Scott earned his bachelor of business administration and law degrees from the University of Georgia. While an undergraduate, he was selected for Omicron Delta Kappa, Blue Key and the President’s Award. He earned a full scholarship to law school, where he was a member of the Jessup Moot Court team and the Moot Court Board. Scott also co-founded and was President of UGA’s Chapter of the Federalist Society for Law & Public Policy Studies. He accepted a position with Fulcher Hagler while still in law school and has been with the firm since graduating in 1993.
Scott lives in Martinez and has three children. Scott is active in his church and community. Besides spending time with family, he relishes the occasional moments he can escape into the woods or on the water.
- City of Statesboro v. Dickens, 293 Ga. 540 (2013)
- Caslin v. Bi-Lo, LLC, 2008 WL 4830008 (S.D. Ga. 2008)
- Peery v. C S B Behavioral Health Systems, 2008 WL 4935598 (S.D. Ga. 2008)
- Rodas v. Bi-Lo, Inc., 2008 WL 2415269 (S.D. Ga. 2008)
- Murray v. Ga. Dept. of Transportation, 284 Ga. App. 263, 644 S.E. 2d 290 (2007)
- USA Mfg. Corp. v. Perfection-Schwank, Inc., 271 Ga. App. 636, 610 S.E. 2d 600 (2005)
- Stout v. Cincinnati Insurance Co., 269 Ga. 611, 502 S.E.2d 226 (1998)
- Irons v. CSX Transportation, Inc., 224 Ga. App. 586, 481 S.E. 2d 575 (1997)
- Budget Rent-A-Car of Atlanta, Inc. v. Webb, 220 Ga. App. 278, 469 S.E. 2d 712 (1996)
- Georgia and Augusta Bar Associations
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute (Governmental Liability Steering Committee, 2011-present, Retail and Hospitality Law Steering Committee, 2016-present)
- Legal Elite, Georgia Trend Magazine, 2013
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, 2013 – Present
- Best Lawyers in America (Litigation, Municipal)
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV-Preeminent” rating
- Federalist Society (Augusta Chapter, Advisory Board)
- Warren Baptist Church (Board of Deacons, 2006-present; Finance Committee, 2010-2013, Chairman, 2013; Children’s Ministry; 2009–present, Warren Life Foundation – Board member, 2016-present)
- AU Health Cystic Fibrosis Advisory Council (Board Member, 2011-2014; Co-Chairman, 2012)
- Rotary Club of Augusta (2010- present; Executive Board, 2012-2015; Paul Harris Fellow)
- University of Georgia Leadership Advisory Board (2005-2009)
- Ducks Unlimited, Augusta Chapter (President, 2000)
- National Wild Turkey Federation, Augusta Chapter (President, 1997-98)
- GA-SC Bulls Soccer Club (Board of Directors, 2013-2015)